Name: Irene Foote
Born: 17th April 1893
New Rochelle, New York
Died: 25 January 1969
- Vernon and Irene Castle were a husband and wife team of ballroom dancers of the early 20th century.
- Irene Castle who popularized the bob in 1914 when she cut her own hair in advance of electivee surgery.
- They also helped to popularize the foxtrot, ragtime, jazz rhythms and African-American music.
- Afterr serving with distinction as a pilot in World War 1, Vernon died in a civilian plane crash in 1918.
- Irene continued to perform and made silent films over the next decade.
- She remarried, had children and became an animal-rights activist in 1939
- Her life with Vernon was dramatized in The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.